Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Now, while I'm on the subject of food...

I have to discuss the new cupcake bar in downtown Champaign. I have mixed feelings. Don't get me wrong - the cupcake I just inhaled from there was delicious, but they only have about 5 flavors right now and I guess they are going to update their flavors every couple weeks or so.

The name of the bar is another issue. All I'd ever heard it referred to since the very humble beginnings was "Cream & Flutter." When I walked in today (at the Grand Opening), the name appeared to be "Cakes on Walnut." Maybe people didn't know what Cream & Flutter was.

My other issue is this: in everything I'd ever read about the place, they referred to it as a "bar," but they mentioned several times that they didn't plan on serving alcohol. Today, half of the menu is beer, wine and spirits. They'd mentioned that they wanted to cater to the late-night crowd (I guess cupcakes make good drunk food?), so maybe they think they'll cater better to that crowd if they can keep drinking while chowing down on cupcakes. Or maybe, since they've changed everything else, they don't plan on being open late anymore.

Enough about logistics and back to the case in point: cupcakes. I ordered the vanilla since all they had ready (at 9:45 a.m., mind you, they opened at 7 a.m.) was vanilla, red velvet and strawberry balsamic. The red velvet looked good but I wanted a big cupcake and they only had that in vanilla. The cake was moist and sweet, but the frosting was the best part. It was very airy and fluffy, but rich at the same time. I'm pretty sure it was real whipped cream with the little black specs of vanilla bean you get when someone makes vanilla the right way. Mmmm... so, it was a decent breakfast, albeit unhealthy.

The last comment I have about Cakes on Walnut is about prices. I paid $5.41 for a big cupcake and a small hot tea (12 oz.). Seemed a little steep when I can go to Pekara or Aroma and get a pastry and a tea for less than $4. I noticed that they also serve cereal and milk for $3.50! I can buy a box of cereal for that and keep it at my desk at work. I don't see that menu item flying off the shelves.

Anyway, I'll probably go back to try more flavors of cupcakes, but I'm going to walk down with my bottle of water in hand so I get out of there without spending too much.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Cupcakes and cupcakes places seem to be the new thing. I love me some cupcakes, but I cant imagine I'd ever go someplace and buy a single cupcake.

spartygirl said...

This place sounds like heaven to me! However, $5 for a cupcake sounds a bit ridiculous. Feel free to bring out any leftovers to the pregnant chick on bedrest!