Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I'm thinking about buying a house.

The problem is that I can't afford a huge house payment every month, and I don't have a whole lot put down. But, I've been paying rent in C-U for about 8 years now, and it's high time I start building up some equity.

I don't want it to be a dump. The other slight problem is that I will need enough room for Nevan and Steph to live with me for a few years until she gets done with college. So that means that I need at least 3 BR. Plus, part of the reason I'm moving out of my current location is that I don't have enough room for my business, so there's another room (or just a space that I need).

When I first graduated from college I rented a room in a SWEET 3 BR condo. I absolutely loved that place (though I could have done without the 2 boys I lived with). Anyway, I found a place in the same condo association that's for sale. I think I even like it better than the one I lived in before (mostly because there are colors other than WHITE on the walls). It's slightly out of my price range though (I think?), so we will have to see. Plus, I don't know how I feel about those condo association fees. Honestly, though, I don't really know how much I can afford to spend, so I'm planning on going to the bank on Saturday to talk to someone about that.

On another note, Champaign just seems to get smaller and smaller in terms of people I know. Last night I was looking for houses on Craigslist, and I found a cute little house on the cheaper end (but in the neighborhood I currently live in!) so I emailed the guy about it. Turns out I know him!! He called this morning and I assured him that I was the Holly that he knows from church. I don't think the house he's selling is quite what I'm looking for, but it doesn't hurt to look and get a feel for what's out there.

Wish me luck and pray hard!!

1 comment:

The Camerons said...

Hey!

Your in luck wejust went through all this.
Go to a mortgage broker and get pre-approved. A lot of time you can get no money down, and for instance in the State of OH we have a First Time Homeowner plan where the state will lock in a good interest rate for you. We were told by pretty much every realtor and advisor to go to a mortgage broker rather than a bank. They can usually give you a better interest rate. We were very happy with our motrgage broker experience.
Talk to a realtor too, they will help you out. And LOOK LOOK LOOK at houses/condos!
Let us know if you have any questions.
Love.